My Blog List

Friday 18 November 2011

Online CBT


I've just looked at my notes from some online Cognital behavioural Therapy I did a year ago when I started to take steps to overcome the anxiety and panic which had hit me.By coincidence the notes were from almost exactly a year ago minus a couple of days

I just want to go back and give myself the biggest hug. I'm obviously so lost and confused and frightened about what was happening to me :-(

There were some notes I made after a panic attack while I was in the house with OH and daughter ( then aged 5) one weekend afternoon and its just so sad to read how my main concern was to try and hide it from them so I didn't upset my little girl and how I was worried that I wouldn't be able to cope with doing day to day basics if this was going to keep happening

It shows that once you realise that once you managed to get over the fear of the actual panic and anxiety feelings then life just feels managable again

I actually had some low level panicky feelings while driving with OH to pick up stepson yesterday and instead of it being an issue then I was just mildly irrated with the hyperventilation feeling and made an effort to chat away and I forgot about it within a couple of minutes

Although I'm a bit sad about how much I struggled when I read back then I also can see now just how far I've come and how its made me take a good look at my life and make sure that I'm trying to do things which enrich my future rather than just floating along and taking whatever is thrown at me with a feeling of bewilderment

I'm definately going to redo the course over the next couple of weeks when I get some downtime . I only got halfway through last time so it should be an eye opener to see what is in the second part.

If anyone ever reads this who is back where I was then I promise you the key to starting to get better is realising that it wont hurt you however uncomfortable it feels at the time. Once you stop avoiding situations just incase you panic then you stop worrying about panicing and bit by bit then the panics power fades

I'm really finding blogging therapeuatic at the moment - and it great to see so many other people writting interesting posts in their blogger. I cant go to sleep at night now without checking out the updated blogs on my list

3 comments:

  1. Blogging does help. I agree.

    I can't go back and read my posts however - I think that's because my anxiety comes from the loss of a child. I don't want to re-read (and re-stir) those memories. One day I will, I'm sure.

    Have a good day. =)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wanted to thank you for your kind comment the other day.

    Second, a big (huge!) problem with my son is anxiety. Even people who see him occasionally have said to me "he seems rather anxious." I have heard of CBT but didn't know it was available online. I know there has to be a way other than meds. I love what you say about realizing it won't hurt you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I ditto the blogging thing. I think it's helped me as well. I've journaled for years, but putting it 'out to the universe' really has had an affect.
    Thanks for blogging

    ReplyDelete