My Blog List

Saturday 22 October 2011

Relaxation is my holy grail

There is an Italian phrase  Il dolce far niento which I believe translates to the sweetness of doing nothing

I miss the sweetness of doing nothing , I really miss it . I used to be able to chill out and  just do what I wanted all weekend . If I desired to stay in bed and read all day , I did . If I wanted to have a few drinks on a Saturday night - I did . No feeling tense or worrying about a possible hangover 

 The irony is that It isn't a case of not being able to find the time to " do nothing" ....it's the sweetness part I'm struggling with . I just don't seem to be able to  relax 
I'm trying so hard to chill out that I'm rigid with tension with the frustration of not being able to relax . 

My daughter is spending the half term week with her grandmother and I am going to try and get into the groove of sweet nothing . Feeling anxious about feeling anxious is just the cherry on top of the ridiculous pie.  

2 comments:

  1. I know exactly what you're talking about. I remember when I was a child, our priest suggested that we ask our parents to let us have a day when we didn't have to do anything we didn't want to. Yeah, right. That suggestion went over with my parents like a lead balloon. Do it. Take the next few days and enjoy. Do it for me. I'll try doing the same thing. We'll compare notes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Challenge accepted !! I'll blog towards the end of the week about it - if you'll do the same. x

    ReplyDelete